And Christmas - Tips To Staying Safe
Picture yourself watching once of your favorite Christmas
movies for a moment. Can you see the Christmas stockings
hanging from the fireplace mantel? Fireplaces, stockings and
the holiday season just seem to fit together, but are you
giving thought to staying safe by the fire? Here are some
fireplace safety tips just for the Christmas season.
1. When Santa Claus comes sliding down your chimney, will it
be clean? Be sure you have a chimney sweep every year and stay
safe. Chimney fires are a major cause of all home fires and in
most cases, could be prevented with a simple cleaning.
2. Christmas trees and fireplaces must be kept separated.
Nothing like the Christmas tree catching fire to ruin the
holiday spirit. This tip also goes for space heaters as
3. Keep the Christmas stockings dry, but not burnt. Make
sure you take down the stockings before lighting a fire in the
fireplace. Yes, it may seem too obvious, but you would be
surprised at how many fires are started this way.
4. Holiday candles on the fireplace mantel are another issue
to be aware of. Be sure you have them enclosed in glass to
protect everything from the flames.
5. Keep the tinsel and garland from hanging over the mantel
and away from the fire.
6. Use the fireplace screen to prevent sparks and
burning embers from popping out. A simple spark can easily
create a disaster.
7. Watch out for the kids. The Christmas season is such a
wonderful time of year for the kids and they love to be around
the fireplace and all of the ornaments. Be sure to keep them
safely away from the fire.
Fireplaces and the Christmas season are a great time of
year. Be sure that you and your family stay happy and safe by
following these simple fireplace safety tips.